+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st gen radiator on 2nd gen sv650s

1st gen radiator on 2nd gen sv650s

Will it work without major mods?

Re: 1st gen radiator on 2nd gen sv650s

yes, you just need to extend upper mounts. you will also need left hose from 1st gen.

What do you call major?

I cut off the left side "nub" on the frame and drilled and tapped a hole. I made a pair of aluminum hanger extenders and hung the radiator on those. The bottom swings up just enough to get the bolt in, but becasue of the extra height, angle and PAIR on the cylinder head, I'm not seeing a stock fan fitting in there. First and 2nd gen fans have a different mounting bolt pattern but I'm not sure if a 1st gen fan would even fit.

Also, the fan switch is much larger on the 2nd gen. There might be enough meat to drill and tap the radiator, but it would be close. I found an oil drain plug at the auto parts shop (with a rubber gasket built in) and will just plug the hole and have a toggle switch.

For the hoses, right side is a strait piece of 1" heater hose. Left will be stock hose with a "stretched" section (aluminum tube with a couple hose clamps) hidden behind the frame.

I'm liking the sleek & narrow look, though...

I didn't want to open new thread so I ask here:
    What is the diameter of a 1st gen SV radiator hose?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TOLAROS View Post
    I didn't want to open new thread so I ask here:
    What is the diameter of a 1st gen SV radiator hose?
    Thanks
    Pretty sure it's the same as the 2nd gen, 25mm.

Bighammer, are you reading? I'm wondering what you did to stop the hose blowing off the aluminium extension tube under pressure. Did you flare the tube somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Pretty sure it's the same as the 2nd gen, 25mm.

Bighammer, are you reading? I'm wondering what you did to stop the hose blowing off the aluminium extension tube under pressure. Did you flare the tube somehow?
    Hose clamps. I don't think 15 PSI is going to blow it off, but maybe I should mark and check it occasionally just in case.

Whats the difference between 1st & 2nd gen rads? Is the 1st gen bigger or what? I fitted an R6 Rad but it was touching the wheel under braking, need something else that will lower the running temp.

2nd gen is wider, 03 is really wide. Other than that just top mounts are longer on 2nd gen and left hose inlet is straight instead angled.

+ Reply to Thread